nafex - [NAFEX] rootstock suggestions for apples and pears

  • From: Deb S <debs913@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] rootstock suggestions for apples and pears
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:58:17 -0500

I want to try some grafting and was wondering what rootstocks you all would recommend for apple and pear trees.  Here are my parameters:

--Zone 5/6 (right on the line) generally we have plenty of moisture in SE Ohio, some snowfall in winter, our biggest weather hazards are early thaws and late freezes

--heavy clay soil ..I am working to amend the soil, but it takes time!

--fireblight is a problem here

--we have the usual range of pests and diseases, but except for fireblight, nothing major

--I would like rootstock that will produce a tree that is dwarf or semi-dwarf.

I am pretty new to this, so any tips would be most appreciated!

Deb S
SE Ohio

  • [NAFEX] rootstock suggestions for apples and pears, Deb S, 11/09/2009