nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ribes update

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: Kieran &/or Donna <holycow@frontiernet.net>, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ribes update
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:51:04 -0500 (EST)

You caught me there Donna, I am a transplant not a native. I have a
Crandall growing somewhere, but as you say, it doesn't taste much like a
blackcurrant. Of people I have persuaded to try them -- when pretty ripe on
the bush and after warning that they are rather strong -- about half
actually seem to like the taste. For me Ben Nevis has been the best regular
producer followed by Ben Lomond, which is very similar, Ben Connan which
tastes a bit different, Ben Sarek which seems stronger in flavor but
has been the shiest producer and smallest bush and Consort which has not
produced very well either -- they all make wonderful pies and jam. I have
tried
various combinations of these for Cassis (the recipe is roughly vodka
steeped in blackcurrants, left together in the sun for a month or two) and
Ben Sarek is noticeably the best. I am thinking of trying a few more
varieties -- I planted Titania last year -- but I am pretty happy with the
Scottish bred ones so far.

Richard

On 6 Nov, Kieran &/or Donna wrote: > Richard, I'm pleased to hear you like
Ben Sarek, as it was one I worried > about a little. Supposed to be more
dis res than B. Lomand, but just one > reference said they were hard to
hand pick. Re Titania, it's said to be > weak on flavor and sometimes
bitter. Seeing as my husband is after flavor, > I couldn't see a lot of
point. I think that high praise for a black currant > from most Americans
would be, "doesn't taste much like black currant". > Hence the popularity
of Crandall, which I ordered too. Donna >