nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rooting currants

  • From: hwpark@kahres.kendal.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rooting currants
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 07:23:57 -0500

John,

Where are you located; and your zone plse.

On Nov 4, 2009, at 12:05 AM, John Barbowski wrote:

This year, I rooted about 75 black current cuttings if July. A couple of weeks after fruiting, I pruned the bushes, primarily getting rid of older wood. I then took the branches and cut them into about 8 inch sections and placed them in water in a shady area. I had almost all cuttings take root. All were planted this fall. Both current year's growth and older wood developed roots. About 5% were lost due to rotting.

The currents were Ben Sarek and Ben Lomonde. Ben Sarek didn't root as vigourously as BL.

I did the same with figs, namely taking cuttings (12")  and placing them in water. Again, both current year's growth and older wood rooted. The fig was a yellow Excel. They were planted in soil in late Sept. (I never had good success rooting them the normal way with dormant cuttings in taken in the winter)

Unfortunately, the summer was so poor, the 20 or so figs on the mother plant never developed. All the leaves have now dropped leaving the nice large figs still green on the branches. A poor year in general for figs.

jmb