nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rooting Crandall currants

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rooting Crandall currants
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:20:19 -0600

Dale, lthough I have a large bush of Crandall in my yard and have propagated Ribes nigrum cultivars from 8-10” dormant hardwood cuttings (from previous year’s growth) stuck directly in my garden in early spring, I’ve never tried propagating ‘Crandall’.  Propagation methods for it may be different than those for black currant (R. nigrum).  ‘Crandall’ is often classified as a buffalo currant, R. aureum var. villosum (a.k.a.  R. odoratum.)

Here is some info from the Plants for a Future web site (http://www.pfaf.org/ ):

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in the autumn in a cold frame.  Stored seed requires 3 months cold stratification at between 0 and 5°c and should be sown as early in the year as possible[113, 164].  Under normal storage conditions the seed can remain viable for 17 years or more.  Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a cold frame for their first winter, planting them out in late spring of the following year.  Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 10 - 15cm with a heel, July/August in a frame[78, 113].  Cuttings of mature wood of the current year's growth, preferably with a heel of the previous year's growth, November to February in a cold frame or sheltered bed outdoors[78, 200].  Division of suckers in the dormant season.  They can be planted out direct into their permanent positions.

I hope this helps. – Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4b)