nafex - Re: [NAFEX] developing hardy trees

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] developing hardy trees
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:55:09 -0400

A lot depends on the species and on how highly selected the cultivars in use are already. Breeding a superior apple takes a lot of seedlings; a competitive apricot not so many.

Also, breeding for cold hardiness you don't have to grow the seedlings to fruiting. A year or two using very little space per seedling will accomplish a lot of selection, especially if you are satisfied to select for a slightly warmer climate than your own which does not require waiting for a test winter at your place.

If you are content to develop a hardy cultivar which is merely useful for home growers in a cold location, rather than fully competitive with cultivars from warmer climates for commercial growers, you can relax your standards. That might be the case if you were trying to develop a Zone 5 or 4 peach for example.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Larry D. Cook wrote:

Clifford E. and Jerry L.,et al
I'm under the impression that trying to develop a plant that is at least cold hardy to one more zone,in a backyard venture is like hitting the Lotto. I have read that it takes a planting of several hundred seedlings and then you may not get fruit quality (or something else not desired)
Larry D. Cook
Indiana