nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Identification

  • From: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Identification
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:35:23 +0100

Hello
I am in the UK and as the apple season is under way, I take part in a number of apple days where people bring their apples along for identification.
My journey into this started when I took part in a course on apple identification ran by the Northern Fruit Group. We covered a variety of approaches - comparison (with reference apples), use of books such as the keys of Robert Hogg's 1884 "The Fruit Manual", to those of Edward Bunyard , John Bultitude and Joan Morgan. Latterly we have been using a numerical key based on the work of French Pomologist, Rene Marlaud.
I am curious as to the approaches taken elsewhere, hence my question to those of you who get into identification- what methodology to you employ and what are your reference books?
Regards
Clifford Cain
Bawtry, Doncaster, UK