nafex - [NAFEX] Golden Russet apple in Z5-6 NY

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Golden Russet apple in Z5-6 NY
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:30:01 -0400

Nice that people are getting excited about apples here.  That time of the year.

I think that as grown here Golden Russet is a consistent winner in taste tests-  it's one of the most popular antiques.  I have even read in the trades about its special desirability as a sweet cider apple where contest winners credit lots of GR in the mix for their exceptional product.  Wouldn't think of it as a hard cider apple though.

It is one of the richest apples I've ever eaten and although It's acidic compared to many modern varieties- it is still extremely sweet when fully ripe- it's actually syrupy.  However, it is called Golden Russet for a reason- not Emerald Russet.  If it's green it can't be ripe.

What I don't like about it is that it attracts coddling moths and hornets like a welcome sign.  It is not the easiest to grow under a low-spray program.  It also takes a long time to come into bearing on my rootstock of choice, 111.