nafex - [NAFEX] keeping track

  • From: cevanko@civconinc.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] keeping track
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:58:58 -0400

Does anyone have a sheet or something they use to keep track of a tree's history?  I keep a journal with a "spread sheet" of when a tree is planted, grafted or died.  But I have to enter more info later in the journal because I run out of room on the spread sheet.  It is difficult to leaf thru the journal trying to find what I did when and whether it worked or not.  Maybe some of you university types have a "standard" specimen sheet that is kept for each experiment.  I don't want to use a computer to enter field notes because I have had the journal for 10 years and in that time have had several computers that still have data they are unwilling to give up.

Also if you can shed some light on what important points to note on planting, grafting, pruning etc.  I know it would be difficult to do this on a cash crop orchard but surely there are sheets used by grad assistants on each variety of fruit. Yes?  I currently have about 100 trees/bushes/vines that I would like to track.  My memory is less than photographic so I label everything (I sometimes wear a name tag to be safe).

Craig Evankoe

Southwest Cook Co. (near Chicago, Il)

  • [NAFEX] keeping track, cevanko, 10/13/2009