nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:26:37 -0400

Hi fluff,
I haven't grown yellow pear for at least a decade, so I can't help you with seeds. I have a question though.
Are you still living where the yellow pear of your youth was grown? You didn't move a thousand miles away to a completely different climate did you? You know that some tomatoes are great in some locations and not others.

Steve

fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
Gang:

The fluffy one is sad, older now, and sadly potentially facing changing taste buds I no longer can grow a yellow pear tomato that matches my memories from decades ago.
I usually grow a potpourri of tomatoes, and I fondly remember the yellow pear
of my youth ,a pleasant mild tasting, low acid tomato that was wonderful when
mixed with sharper tomatoes like a Super Beefsteak or Better Boy. Now a
committed full flavor tomato heirloom snob (yeah I still grow Hybrids like
Super Beefsteak, Sweet100 and Better Boy too, just in case) I really miss the
remembered taste of the Yellow Pear from days gone your in salads and salsas
for a contrast.

I have tried several commercial sources and none are producing the tomatoes of my memory. What I am getting are ungoshly bland, mushy textured tomatoes that frankly are not worth the space they occupy other than for eye appeal.
What I suspect is there are many strains of yellow pear and I simply have not
lucked out enough to get the right one. I do know if I encounter it again I
will save the darn seeds.

Anyways, I thought I would put in a request to the good folks at NAFEX that
if anyone has a good strain of yellow pear they save seed from if you could
spare a few, say 5-10 seeds, so I can get something going next year that is
worth a dran

Obviously we can swap something, all I want is a few starter seeds of a know good parent.
I thank you for any consideration your give this matter,

the fluffy one