nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Green Bags revisited

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Green Bags revisited
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:15:03 -0700

Zeolite will absorb odors and water, but isn't the part that neutralizes the
ethylene. That would be the KMoO4 that the zeolite is coated with in those
green products.

You can recharge the zeolite with heat, and it will absorb odors and water
(reduce humidity) again. Heat restores the zeolite's function by expelling
the things it absorbed - like wringing water out of a sponge. The KMnO4,
however, is transformed as it combines with the ethylene and water. You get
manganese dioxide, acetaldehyde, and potassium hydroxide. Even before you
could think of whether this reaction is completely reversible, the
acetaldehyde will react with remaining potassium permanganate and water to
make acetic acid; then the acetic acid will combine with KMnO4 to make
manganese dioxide, potassium hydroxide, water, and carbon dioxide. This
chain of reactions is irreversible. The ethylene isn't absorbed, it's used
up, and so is the potassium permanganate. The containers will stop working.

~ Stephen