nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil for grape transplanting

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil for grape transplanting
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:39:42 -0500

I followed a thread earlier this summer about adding sand to the soil which I'd like to try. Anyone have a good formula for amounts of sand, organics, soil and supplements? I know grapes root deeply so how deep should I work it?

I'm just a newbie at this, so don't go by what I say, but it's hard for me to imagine that grapes need soil supplements, unless things are REALLY bad there. The biggest problem I have is keeping my grapevines from taking over the yard. I mean, they grow like crazy!

Again, just going by the few varieties I'm growing in my backyard, I wouldn't want to encourage them to grow any faster than they already do. I prune them back severely every year, but in one summer, they just want to take over. I hate to think what it's going to be like when the vines get older! (But the grapes are wonderful.)

Even the grapes I planted last year, I pretty well just stuck them in the ground and then had to leap back out of the way. Now, maybe that's just this particular location, I don't know. Things might be different elsewhere. I've got clay underneath, but a lot of good black soil, too.

Good luck,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
It was such a lovely day I thought it a pity to get up. - W. Somerset Maugham