nafex - [NAFEX] Durians and other interesting things

  • From: "M Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Durians and other interesting things
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:59:01 -0400

I vote for the cultural theory.

We in the U.S. eat lots of peanut butter, but a friend who traveled in Australia said that people there thought it was totally disgusting.

If you’ve traveled in South America you might find the smell of the open air meat markets enough to make you sick—but in my opinion it’s a matter of acclimation.

There’s a market in Cincinnati that has produce from all over the world.  It normally carries huge chunks of durian—but frozen.  I picked one up to see if I could catch a hint of the scent, but as with most frozen things I could not get even a whiff.

Michele in Ohio

  • [NAFEX] Durians and other interesting things, M Stanton, 09/18/2009