nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

mIEKAL,

When my trees were very small I fingered each fruit as they changed luster on each tree to locate and pick the ripened ones each day - like one does with peaches.  But with a couple hundred fruit on each of 12 trees that is impractical, so I put a layer of pine needles under the trees and pick up the fruit each morning and evening - works for me.  Up your way, you may well have to pick them before the first freeze and let them soften in the house.  Of the ones I pick up, about half are fully ripe, ready to eat, and half need one or two days at room temp to reach optimum ripeness.  Some folks like their pawpaws firm, but I like the richer flavor of a fully ripened fruit.

Jim