nafex - [NAFEX] Necta Zee nectarine question

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jackie Kuehn <jakuehn@verizon.net>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Necta Zee nectarine question
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 07:16:17 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Has anyone on this list fruited the Necta Zee nectarine in the East
(preferably Southeast)?

The reason I ask is that I planted this cultivar based on a number criteria,
including that it was described as freestone. My tree was so healthy that I
took the unprecedented step of allowing to set a few fruit in its first year.
All 3 of these fruit were decidedly clingstone. Thus my upcoming report in
Pomona calls it a clingstone.

However, I just double-checked the plant patent (PP06283) and it's described
as freestone there as well. Sooo... either the nursery sent me the wrong
cultivar or there is more possibility for environmental influence on stone
adherence than I had thought.

If anyone has fruited this cultivar and can comment on their experience on
whether it's cling or free &/or if anyone else cares to comment on variation
in peach/nectarine stone adherence, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.
I've seen stones from freestone cultivars be a little clingy when picked too
soon, but these so-called Necta Zee fruit were >ripe<.

Thanks,

Anton

  • [NAFEX] Necta Zee nectarine question, Anton Callaway, 09/13/2009