nafex - [NAFEX] cornus mas ripe?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cornus mas ripe?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:52:12 -0400

One of my cornus mas has 14 fruits this year! (Plus two more that I've picked.) Okay, not a huge yield, but I've previously only gotten 1, so this feels like an actual crop.

How can I tell if the fruits are ripe? Most are fully red, a few are still slightly pink. The two I picked were fully red, crunchy, and very sour, although I liked the flavor. Do they get sweeter and less sour if I let them ripen longer? How much longer? I don't think the squirrels have realized they are food, yet, but I suppose that's only a matter of time.

thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6