nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon flowering

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon flowering
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 23:30:28 -0600

Folks,

Does anyone have experience with American persimmons? I have a tree that is probably about 10 years old and has never flowered.

The history of this tree is that it was originally a grafted variety, I think Szukis, on which the top didn't survive but the roots kept putting up new shoots. It took several years before the resulting shoots actually survived a winter (New Mexico 7000 ft) but it has steadily grown since then. It is now about 6 feet high. I am hoping it will be a male to polinate my named female varieties but so far no sign of any flowers on it.

Is this normal for it to take so long to start flowering? Or are flower buds maybe being killed? I've never seen anything on it that looks like a flower bud.

The trees are quite beautiful with their large, soft tropical looking leaves and it has taken me many years to get named varieties to survive. Now I'm waiting for fruit. Help.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews