nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing mulberry

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing mulberry
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:25:29 -0500

All I've ever seen are grafted, usually onto seedling rootstock - I presume
row-run M.alba or M.albaXrubra seedlings.
I've grafted it onto M.alba seedlings rogued out of fencerows/flowerbeds,
etc.
*Supposedly* mulberries can be rooted - their 'cousin' the fig is easy to
propagate that way - but I've never had any success with dormant-collected
cuttings, and only minimal success with softwood/semi-hardwood cuttings
collected in mid-summer - but I didn't give 'em much TLC, either.

I've seen HUGE old IE trees - one at Les Wilmoth's place must be at least
35-40 ft tall, and it'd take two people linking arms to reach around it.
Someone on the list once said that trying to prune/train IE was like trying
to control a firehose, but I've read of folks who've kept it to a manageable
size by constant judicious pruning.

Lucky