nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spraying

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spraying
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:21:15 -0700 (PDT)

Bill, while I hesitate to recommend it, since I think it established itself in my yard so now I have no butterflies any more, but BT is safe to use around flowering strawberries, and should kill off any moth larvae around. I'm not familiar with coddling moth, and so I don't know if dusting with BT would actually kill it if the eggs are laid inside the fruit, but is relatively safe and seems to me better than nothing. Sorry to hear of your mycophobia, hope you can get over it if you ever have a chance to eat corn smut again. Because of its rarity it's actually a very valuable mushroom, along the lines of black truffle, though I don't know if it can successfully be cultivated the way truffles can.