nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia field days in Madison

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia field days in Madison
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:19:13 -0700

Most of the Aronia improvement seems to have been done in eastern Europe, using a relatively limited range of material collected in America. The local experiment station has a collection of Aronia varieties that I evaluated one year. The only real differences in the cultivars was some variation in productivity and about a week's difference in ripening times over the whole group of ten or so varieties. Sugar was 21 to 24 Brix. The two best performing cultivars were Nero and Viking. This was several years ago when the plants were just getting into production. Now the row looks like a hedge and the differences between varieties are even less obvious. I grew a row of seedlings of Viking that had so little variation you could almost plant a field from seed and still get useable production.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/