nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima exceptionally hardy, tasty, and late-flowering

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima exceptionally hardy, tasty, and late-flowering
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:07:12 -0700 (PDT)

What zones is it adapted for?
                                       Richard

--- On Thu, 8/20/09, Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 2:35 PM

In Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden there is an extensive list of varieties and their descriptions, including those Lon mentions. As far as I know, none, except Jersey, is still available (from Raintree Nursery). Many years ago, I tasted some excellent selections that were good fresh at Rutgers University Cream Ridge Experiment Station.I've grown some of them, and other beach plums, but have become somewhat disenchanted with their variable production and sometimes susceptibility to pests. They always put on a most beautiful floral show in spring, though.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book