nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Testing for pesticde residues

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Testing for pesticde residues
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:05:19 -0400

On Aug 19, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Erdman, James wrote:

Hello all
I seem to remember reading somewhere of a simple test to use for free compost, municipal compost, or other questionable organic materials, to see if there are pesticide residues in it. It involved (I think) growing a test crop in a sample of the material, using a sensitive plant that would show stunted growth quickly if there were problematic materials such as herbicide residues in the compost. I am a bit concerned about the free compost/leaf mold available at our municipal landfill, and would like to check it to see if I should be concerned about possible residue from lawn chemicals that may have ended up in the finished compost piles at the local landfill.

Anyone remember anything that may be helpful to me?

I think I remember something about trying to grow cress in it, as cress was supposed to be fairly sensitive to residues; but am not certain. You could try googling cress and herbicides, and seeing if anything comes up.

That wouldn't. of course, check for all possible residues. Many things break down in compost; but not all. But if your main concern is possible herbicide damage, it might do the job. Does the town check for lead etc. before selling the stuff?

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly