nafex - [NAFEX] plums and their curc

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] plums and their curc
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:52:59 -0400

Bill, you can find Orbit (active ingredient propiconazole) available for backyard growers as Monterey Garden Fungi-Fighter.  If your local stores don't have it there are several mail-order suppliers.

This year I have done OK using a combination of Serenade and Saf-T-Side oil.  The Saf-T-Side oil is rated as reasonably good for brown rot; the Serenade is rated as only mildly good; the combination of using both in regular sprays is working for me.  The advantage of Orbit is you only need a couple sprays for effective control.  Orbit is not organic like the Serenade/oil but its relatively low-impact.

Scott
Z7 muggy MD (he remembers!)

> Growers here have long since abandoned  myclobutanyl for BR control
> and Cornell only recommends it to control blossom blight which I've
> never seen in 20 years- even on unsprayed trees.  Indar or Orbit are
> much more affective SI's for this purpose as I understand it and with
> them I harvest stone fruit on the wettest years without much BR loss.
> Pristine is the new kid on the block for this purpose.   Bumper is a
> cheaper generic version of Orbit.

None of these are available for backyard growers, though, are they? I
can rarely find the fungicides recommended for most of this stuff, so I
have to use what I CAN get.