nafex - [NAFEX] Controlled Atmosphere Storage of Blackberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Controlled Atmosphere Storage of Blackberries
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:43:35 -0500

Blackberries, perhaps all soft berries, can spoil at temperatures barely above freezing.

Last year, when the home freezer filled up and I didn't have time to do a run to the locker plant, I kept the blackberry harvest in the walk-in cooler. The temperature was set to be maintained between 32 and 38 degrees. According to what the 'experts' say, that temperature range should allow for safe storage but not so. All of the berries were packed in gallon freezer bags, 3 pounds each. I was to learn that my blackberries (Fort Kent King) were safe at that temperature for a maximum of three days. Those bags that were refrigerated longer blew up like balloons and we lost over 60 pounds of blackberries.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Controlled Atmosphere Storage of Blackberries, Jim Fruth, 08/14/2009