nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the advantage of espalliers

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the advantage of espalliers
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:21:15 -0400

One of my neighbors has some espalied apples.  I'm sure he doesn't prune more than once or twice a year, and his look quite nice.

He originally hails from England, for what it's worth.

-- Ginda

Lee Reich wrote:

The beauty of the Lorette method, where it works, that not only are the trees very productive but that the form of the branches remains visually prominent throughout the season.  The tracery of branches is ruined if it is hidden beneath a jungle of new shoots for much of the season, which is the case if the trees are pruned just once a season. The branches look like porcupines before they are pruned and then, if regrowth occurs after pruning, they look like porcupines again soon thereafter.

In my book The Pruning Book I suggest redcurrant for an espalier that works well anywhere, only takes two prunings per year (described in the book), and looks pretty. (There I go mentioning my writing again; no need for anyone to buy the book because it's available in many libraries, including the NAFEX library).

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book