nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison pie?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison pie?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:26:27 -0500

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Poison pie?

I grew up in west-central Kansas, eating a form of black nightshade that the Volga German settlers in our area brought from Russia (near Saratov).  This is a selection that is low in the compounds that make the species bitter or acrid tasting (and probably rather poisonous) and it is sweet when ripe.  The Volga Germans use this, what they call "Schwartzbeeren," in pies, as a topping for sheet Kuchen, and for filling a raviol-like noodle, which they call "Maultaschen".

The more I've studied what I could find about Solanum nigrum, the clearer it's become that it probably isn't as poisonous as it's purported to be.  Its leaves are even used as a potherb in southeast Asia, although it may be one of those vegetables that is cooked in water, the cooking liquid thrown away, and then cooked again.  (I've tasted the foliage that the Hmong bring to the St. Paul Farmers Market and I must confess it is way too bitter tasting for my tastes.)

If I were going to use the berries of black nightshade I'd only use them if they were sweet-tasting when ripe.  And I would only pick them after the skins have turned from a glossy blue-black to a rather dull blue-black.  Just as a precaution.

If anyone would like some seeds and a cultural sheet of Schwartzbeeren, I'd be more than happy to send you one.   For a number of years I've been offering to other people of Volga German descent so that some of the foodways do not die out.  Just send me an email at sam739is@hotmail.com along with your name and postal address.

Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)