nafex - [NAFEX] Ripe figs

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ripe figs
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:43:05 -0400

As one of my fruit experiments for this year I succumbed to temptation and bought a fig tree from a local nursery, my idea being to keep it potted and over-winter it in the garage or basement.

Unfortunately, there was no variety marked on the tree, and the nursery had no idea either. So I didn't even know whether it has brown or green figs.

When I got the tree in June it had small figs on it which I presumed were brebas. I waited for them to soften up and when they seemed soft but still green, I cut one off and tried it. Totally unripe.  So I left the others and they started to turn brown.  One rotted on the tree but another I picked and tasted. Obviously a lot closer to being ripe than the green one but wasn't ready either.

So now, despite the lack of sun and constant rain, the main crop seems to have come in. My question is, being totally inexperienced with figs, both eating them and growing them, how do I know when they are ripe?

As always, any help appreciated.

Caren
Quebec