nafex - [NAFEX] . Re: Honeybee question Off-Topic

  • From: Anthony Curcio <apc@vassolinc.com>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] . Re: Honeybee question Off-Topic
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:23:24 -0500

Mark,

I agree with Lon. If you make it too difficult for the bees they may look for an easier source and you will lose the benefit of their pollination. An average hive has approximately 60,000 bees in it. I am not sure how big an area you’re going to enclose but keep in mind the bees must visit 1 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey. If your area is too small the bees will not survive enclosed. I don’t know the size of your beetles but I would imagine anything that is small enough to stop them will stop the bees also. Queen excluders typically are bars 5/16” – 3/8” wide.

Anthony z4b

Anthony P. Curcio
CEO
VasSol, Inc.
833 W. Jackson 8flr.
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone- 312-601-4431
Fax - 312-601-4451

  • [NAFEX] . Re: Honeybee question Off-Topic, Anthony Curcio, 07/31/2009