nafex - [NAFEX] early blight

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] early blight
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:30:27 -0400

Thanks Michael.  I always wondered whether I had late or early blight- although not enough to research it.  Tomatoes only get so much of my time and I'm not paid to manage them.  I would have guessed I had late blight because until this year it has come later in the season.  I expect these fungal diseases to be self descriptive- what with black-knot, fly-speck, sooty blotch and scab being such a part of my world.

Turns out my tomato nemesis must be early blight as the death is pretty gradual and the plants don't turn to mush.  The disease does sometimes stop plants from producing a single tomato, however, especially this year.  They were barely worth the effort of planting this time around.