nafex - Re: [NAFEX] tomato blight

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] tomato blight
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:26:35 -0400

Alan,

Late blight does not always strike in the northeast because, except in diseased potato tubers, it does not overwinter here. It gets here via infected plants or, when weather conditions (cool and rainy) are just right for it to hopscotch here from the south, where it does overwinter. It very well could have (and probably did) get a start here on some tomato plants at big box stores, then hopscotched around from gardens to farms, etc.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book