nafex - [NAFEX] tomato blight

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] tomato blight
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 06:49:20 -0400

Yup, the media has been abuzz about tainted tomato plants and the blight issue here in the northeast but I doubt any scientific connection exists between the big box plants (seeds?) and the early late blight this year.  There has just been an incredible amount of rain.  I would expect my late blight to be early with 2 straight months of rain in the double digits with inadequate sun between storms.

Of course my property has had early blight for well over a decade so I'm pretty sanguine at this point although my neighbor gardener says the latest blight is a new strain and we need to rogue out any plants showing symptoms.  I'll wait to see what happens next season to draw any conclusions.  It was a lot more fun growing tomatoes before blight arrived, I will say that.

Still, I'm harvesting enough for my family and have 3 healthy plants in my unheated greenhouse to click in when the others die off.  Good thing- I wouldn't want to rely on farmers markets for tomatoes this year.