nafex - Re: [NAFEX] climate, weather and fruit

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] climate, weather and fruit
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:08:09 -0500

In the last month we had one day of record cold (58 for high) & 3 weeks previous to that a record high (105). We've been known to have cold summers or hot summers but drastic quick swings like this are very new to me. Despite that I've been having a great year, ripened enough red currants, strawberries & nanking cherries to put up a carboy of Summerberry wine & enough Crandalls to make a big batch of Black Currant Melomel. Black rot seems to be in check so far this year on all the various grapes (except for Valiant) & I might even start dreaming of buckets of grapes for this year. Had prolific production from 5 Bali & a couple Montmorency & Evans but the robins gracious picked 95% of the crop for me. First year of apricots & had good set on some very old seedling Manchurian (12-14 years old) for the first time ever, but every last fruit shriveled about the pit, I'm wondering it that the result of plum curculio?

& big apologies for getting the global warming monster started again, I was more posting the article to see if folks in that area had anecdotal evidence that verified the report. I work in the organic industry where global warming is not a theory but a call to action that affects farm plans & daily practices on the land. Which is to say, it's easy for me to forget how controversial it is to some outside that world.

~mIEKAL