nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What's the difference between Champagne Currants &WhiteCurrants?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What's the difference between Champagne Currants &WhiteCurrants?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:45:57 -0500

Title: RE: [NAFEX] What's the difference between Champagne Currants &WhiteCurrants?

To be truthful, I am not sure.

Jung's, Raintree Nursery, and Nourse Farms all sell what they are calling 'Pink Champagne' currant.  What I suppose is the same cultivar is listed in the NCGR-Corvallis Ribes Catalog simply as 'Champagne'.:

    NCGR-Corvallis Ribes Catalog
    Pink Currant Cultivars and Selections
    Traits listed are intended for preliminary subgrouping of accessions. Traits are from germplasm release notices, published reports, or observations made at NCGR-Corvallis.

    Champagne = PI 617916 (1183.001) - Ribes rubrum L. CURRANT-PINK  - MIDSEASON, HERITAGE AMERICAN, FRESH, PROCESSED

    Gloire des Sablons = PI 556309 (314.001) - Ribes rubrum L. CURRANT-PINK  - EARLY, RUN-OFF MEDIUM, MILDEW SUSCEPTIBLE, RUST SUSCEPTIBLE

    Rosa Hollandische = PI 556307 (210.001) - Ribes rubrum L. CURRANT-PINK - VIRUS INFECTED - RUST SUSCEPTIBLE