nafex - [NAFEX] When to pick apricots

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When to pick apricots
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:03:19 -0400

Rather to my surprise, my puget gold apricot is still covered with fruit. (Yes, I thinned it, but there's lots.) The fruit has turned golden, with a red blush. It's still very hard.

I'm sure it would be best if picked fully tree-ripened, but I doubt much will be left if I wait for that. I find pits under the tree pretty regularly even with unripe fruit, and I'm over-run with chipmunks, squirrels, crows, deer, and lots of other stuff that no doubt would enjoy ripe apricots, too. I'll leave some to see if I can get some ripe, put if I can pick some earlier, it's probably worth it.

When might I start picking some? What do you look for?

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6