nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberry seeds

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberry seeds
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:03:31 -0400

On Jul 10, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Ernest Plutko wrote:

Anyone raising gooseberry plants from seeds? Do you have to chill
seeds before planting? What about currant seeds?

I have never intentionally done either, but I have a currant bush collected from a seedling, and I find seedling currants around my property pretty regularly (I have two red currants, and some clove currants.) I only just decided to try to protect some seedlings this year, so none have reached maturity. Mine were obviously chilled over the winter, but judging from the number of seedlings, they aren't too fussy.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6