nafex - [NAFEX] My Beach Plums (and best jams/jellies)

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] My Beach Plums (and best jams/jellies)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:45:44 -0500

I got my (25) Beach Plum bushes from the New Hampshire Department of Conservation several years ago. One got beat up during a mild Winter and then I had 24. Most were still alive (barely) after last Winter's -38. Only two had live growth above the snow-line. None of them have ever suckered. The two remaining are about 30" high and are wider in diameter than they are high. This isn't the first year they bloomed but it is the first year that any have set fruit.
I bought the original 25 because visitors (tourists) from New England asked for the jelly assuming that, of our 30+ varieties, we must have their favorite. They added that if they had visited a shop in Martha's Vineyard, for example, if that shop didn't have Beach Plum jelly, they would leave and go to the next shop - supposedly(?) it is that good/tasty!
I'll just keep the plants as a novelty. Plum jam/jelly is among our least sold/poorest sellers. Our best sellers are Strawberry Jalapeno (and/or raspberry Jalapeno and/or Blueberry Jalapeno), Chokecherry, and Brambleberry (a mixture of red raspberry and black raspberry that tastes better than either of the two separately).

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] My Beach Plums (and best jams/jellies), Jim Fruth, 07/07/2009