nafex - Re: [NAFEX] special Living Mulch clover: still available? How hardy?

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] special Living Mulch clover: still available? How hardy?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:03:27 -0400

On Jul 6, 2009, at 7:01 AM, Heath Flax wrote:

As to that special type of limited-growth clover
for use as a living mulch (between fruit trees or plants, e.g.), there
seems , by my efforts anyhow, difficulty finding out much about it on
the web. Whether there's some specific name for that needs to be used
searching, I don't know.
I did remember it as having in recent years, been sold by Indiana
Berry & Plant, but I find nothing about it in their catalog or on
their website.
I'm not sure it has proven all that hardy, and so maybe for the Zone
5b site I have in mind for it (between blueberry rows) I would be
better off with regular white clover anyway.

Not sure of others' "take" on this, but I though it interesting that
there may be so very little readily available info on it online, and
as well that a major company like IB&P seems to have stopped selling
it...

Try "Dutch White Clover" or "New Zealand White Clover". Fedco carries both; Johnny's carries the New Zealand; as both companies are based in Maine, I doubt this is a hardiness problem; and I have found them hardy here, though grasses tend to come in and join them eventually and may crowd out the clover over time. One or the other are also commonly carried by farm supply places around here, at least the last time I looked.

Doesn't Indiana Berry specialize primarily in fruits? I didn't think they carried a wide range of cover crops; maybe I'm wrong.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly