nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear flavor just off the tree

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear flavor just off the tree
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:33:05 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

The data on fireblight susceptibility of 'Wilder Early' are mixed. I rather
expected my trees to perish quickly when I first grafted them. They were a
trial, a calculated risk. To my surprise, they've survived one fireblight
epiphytotic in 2004 (although they weren't blooming, so naturally less
susceptible) and have continued to thrive here in Piedmont North Carolina for
6 years now.

>From my experience with dozens of other risky European pears, it is likely
>that some future epiphytotic will wipe them out, but I'll enjoy them in the
>meantime. I don't consider a pear to be truly resistant until it's survived
>at least one epiphytotic when the trees are in bloom.

I do follow cultural practices to reduce the susceptibility of the trees to
fireblight, but that won't save a highly susceptible cultivar.

Anton
Zone 7/8 - the last of the 'Wilder Early' pears harvested, nectarines, figs,
peaches & plums ripening; no rain for 2 weeks