nafex - Re: [NAFEX] left-over pear scions - grafting help

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] left-over pear scions - grafting help
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:18:31 -0500

I do all kinds of cheating when it comes to grafting. When the scion is budding or leafing, you can do tropical style grafts. Choices would include an approach graft with the end of the scion stuck in a vial of water. Not too different from leaving it in the vase on the dining room table, only it could be healing to your rootstock in the meanwhile. The grafts aren't all that pretty when complete, but a few years will smooth the edges. Or you could do a simple splice or bark graft, but tie a white plastic grocery bag over the graft with some kind of water supply inside. I used to fold up newspaper and wrap it around below the graft before tying on the white plastic bag, but if we get into a hot dry spell I'd often forget to check it and it would dry out too much. this spring when I discovered I'd waited a bit too late to graft junipers, I figured out I could take a vitamin bottle filled with water and tie it to the rootstock, then tie the bag on. the vitamin bottle with pop up lids work the best. I'd wrap a rubber band around lid, stem, then lid again. Maybe a couple wraps if the stock was small, but I was doing veneer grafts so the stock was large. I was very pleased and intend to use the vitamin bottles for most of my cheating in future. Of course if you can easily get buds for the varieties you want, summer budding is quicker and easier. But in my experience summer budding is more dependent on weather, and slower in establishing a tree than grafting. Donna