nafex - [NAFEX] left-over pear scions - grafting help

  • From: "Anton Ptak" <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] left-over pear scions - grafting help
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:10:02 -0500

I am hoping someone may know of a grafting technique I could use with some leftover pear scions and rootstock i have left. I'm not very experienced as a grafter but we were happy to get about 50% of my 60 grafts to take in my 1st year - mostly on pears, some apples and plums as well. I had some leftover 5-6" sticks of scionwood that after a couple more months in the fridge started to leaf out. I put them in water and they seem to have healthy looking growth. I also have some extra rootstocks in the ground that I didn't get to grafting. Is there any grafting method that might work well for using what I have left this summer or should i just leave the scions in a vase as an interesting display on the dining room table and try to get some summer budwood for chip grafting?

Thanks,
Anton Ptak
zone 4 - western wisconsin