nafex - [NAFEX] Honeyberry hardiness

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeyberry hardiness
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:50:07 -0500

Donna asked, "What about spring freezes, do they bloom early or reasonably late? And do the blossoms ever freeze out where ya'll are?"

My Honeyberries bloomed before anything else. Late frosts fried the strawberry flowers but didn't affect the honeyberry flowers or the developing fruit. The flowers are a long bell shape and bumble bees seemed to get frustrated because their tongues weren't long enough to reach any nectar. I suspect mine are either wind pollinated or something came in the night to do the pollinating.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Honeyberry hardiness, Jim Fruth, 06/18/2009