nafex - [NAFEX] Bangor blackberry trial in zone 3

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bangor blackberry trial in zone 3
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:38:52 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: Heron Breen
To: Jim Fruth
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: Bangor

Jim,
Feel free to pass along this info to other NAFEX folks. Best to be harsh and not
protect our favorite fruit varieties from facts. Your zone is indeed marginal for
"Bangor". Thanks for this long observation and feedback.

Heron

On Mon 25/05/09 08:39 , "Jim Fruth" jimfruth@charter.net sent:
Heron, One Bangor cane was struggling to produce green
buds showing possible promise that at least one of the plants you
sent me might have been hardier than the others. But I grubbed it
out along with all the others. "Why," you ask? Bangor acts like a
weed. All of the other varieties I have been trialing are
predictable; primocanes emerge close to the parent plant and can be
trellised. Not so for Bangor. Bangor primocanes come up anywhere,
rarely near the parent. Bangor would be desirable for folks who don't
trellis their blackberries but, if I were to keep it, I would have to
move the trellis(s) every year and not likely in a straight line.
I am keeping Thibodeau for, at least, another season because it
responded well to being weighted down to be covered with snow.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Bangor blackberry trial in zone 3, Jim Fruth, 06/18/2009