nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 77, Issue 93

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 77, Issue 93
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:51:46 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: <nafex-request@lists.ibiblio.org>
To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:24 AM
Subject: nafex Digest, Vol 77, Issue 93

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:16:34 -0400
From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fluffy's point
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

On Jun 17, 2009, at 5:54 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

Rivka will probably argue this, but when I go to a farm market around
here and?compare organic to other stands, the offerings are relatively
poor and expensive in general, especially when it comes to fruit.?
Even the heads of lettuce tend to be smaller and much more expensive
than that offered by small farms that do use some synthetic chemicals.
?

I will most certainly argue this. I don't know about your markets,
maybe your growers don't know what they're doing yet -- or possibly the
organic growers have customers who prefer smaller lettuce, which is
indeed considered better by a lot of people. I have seen absolutely
gorgeous displays from organic growers at market.

No time for more now, I have to go harvest (among other things,
lettuce. It's gorgeous lettuce.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly

We hosted an AFS exchange student from Germany some years ago. She liked to laugh about our 'pretty' but tasteless fruits and vegetables. She said we Americans buy produce with our eyes, but in Germany she and her mother bought with their tongues and noses. I think that tells the whole tale. Often, ugly fruit tastes great. Every try a giant beautiful picture perfect Red Delicious? Organic produce can be pretty, but it is almost always tasty.

Just a thought,

Tim Inman