nafex - [NAFEX] Chipmunks!

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chipmunks!
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:28:17 -0400

I have too many chipmunks. I noticed a chipmunk in my apricot tree, chased it away, and found a pile of apricot pits on the ground, under the tree. The apricots are still hard and green. They eat pretty much everything else in my garden, too.

Has anyone tried killing chipmunks with rat traps? I'm afraid of what else I might kill, and don't want to break the cat's paw, so I might start by putting traps only in the blueberry enclosure. I don't cover the top until the berries are close to ripe, put nothing much gets in there but chipmunks and birds, and I hope the birds wouldn't trigger a rat trap.

I'm thinking of the sort of trap that looks like an oversized spring- loaded mouse trap.

Any advice for bait or cautionary warnings?

Thanks,
Ginda

  • [NAFEX] Chipmunks!, Ginda Fisher, 06/15/2009