nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pepino/Feijoa

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: <fruitopia@firstva.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pepino/Feijoa
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:56:22 -0700

I may just never have had a good pepino. I've found it a bland filler in a
fruit salad, very mild. The word 'compelling' makes me want to grow some
and see how home-grown turn out.
I have grown feijoas, They can be really delicious, with a pineapple/guava
flavor or strawberry/guava. The flowers are also edible. They make a great
smoothie. Home grown were better than store-bought. They do need to be
handled differently than other fruits, as the peeled (scooped-out, rather)
flesh turns brown easily. They can be dipped in an acidic solution before
freezing to help keep their color.
As far as growing, don't really have tips. Ours took forever to bear, but
there are varieties much quicker to bear. We did nothing special other than
wait for them. Plants were always healthy, zero insect or disease problems.

~ Stephen