nafex - [NAFEX] Dead Peaches, and does anyone know anything about a "Ouishi Nakate" plum?

  • From: "eric" <plumhillfarm@gmavt.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dead Peaches, and does anyone know anything about a "Ouishi Nakate" plum?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:07:29 -0400

We also live in Vermont (Zone 4, close to 5) and we loose peach trees regularly, while the others live on and do well. It could very well be the soil health (they do not like wet feet) or lack of nutriention ). We lost 3 this year, 2 intrepids and 1 Wisconsin Balmer (all three were on St Julian Rootstock) , but we still have 2 intrepids, 6 Balmers, 1 Ranger, 1 Hardired, 1 Georgia Belle, 4 Polly's, and numerious reliance seedlings which made it with no problems (few flowers though, it got to 21 below last winter). We plant peaches every year to make up for the losses, last years harvest was tremendous (broken branch type) so it might have weakened some of them. So don't give up just because you lost a few trees.

On another note, I ordered some budwoood from Grin and mistakenly ordered "Ouishi Nakate" japanse plum. Does anyone know about this variety?

THanks, Eric