nafex - [NAFEX] Researching Agricultural History

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Researching Agricultural History
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 12:01:51 -0700

Once upon a time the SF Bay Area grew loads & loads of fruit. I'm interested in finding out what varieties used to be grown here but I really don't know how to go about such research.  I assume such records aren't just laying around at the public library. Should I be trying to see if there are any century-old nurseries around that still have records? Should I be talking to folks at UC Davis and other ag departments?  I'm not even sure I have the time to do obscure research like this but I think it would be really interesting to find out. I

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite