nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate Seedlings

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate Seedlings
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:39:32 -0500

Pomegranates are similar to many old world (or heritage) fruit and vegetables in their ability to produce a plant somewhat similar to the mother plant if the pomegranate (or other fruit) is not a hybrid. Unfortunately Wonderful is a hybrid of several different varieties as evidenced by its fruit characteristics. So you could get anything from your seedlings from very sorry, small, sour fruit to fairly good fruit. That is why most pomegranates are propagated by cuttings. Now, if you had an old world variety like Kandahar (from Afghanistan) that is known to have existed for over 1000 years then a seedling from that plant should be fairly similar to the mother plant.

A researcher at the University of California tested Wonderful variety seedlings many years ago (in the 1920s) and found that the seedlings varied a lot and most were not very good.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard