nafex - Re: [NAFEX] elderberries

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] elderberries
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:19:01 -0500

In Florida decades ago I juiced them, added lemon juice and made jelly. Mostly in England I just added lemon juice and some sugar and water and we drank it. I must have made jam there too, I remember vast quantities of berries. The only problem with the America species is the sticky green goo that can appear around the top edge of the container. I don't remember it in jam making, but definitely if you make elderbery wine. I remember a German guy at a Nafex meeting talking about it and saying that the only thing he'd found to remove it was acetone. Doesn't seem to happen with the European berries. So don't let it alarm you if you encounter it, you didn't do anything wrong. Donna