nafex - [NAFEX] Serviceberries and rust

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Serviceberries and rust
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:59:49 -0500

I've not looked at my alnifolias in several weeks -
year-in/year out, the most productive - and
healthiest-looking plants are a couple of Timm &
Success seedlings(again, from the defunct Bear Creek
Nursery)
A.obovata "Jennybelle" usually looks pretty sick
throughout the bulk of the season, and several of the
named-variety tissue-cultured alnifolia selections I
got from St. Lawrence a dozen years ago are still
struggling along, but they've never gained the vigor
or productivity of the unselected BCN seedlings,
which were tiny little 3-4" plants when I got 'em -
now a thick clump 5 ft tall and 7 ft wide.

There were an occasional rust-infested fruit on the
A.Xgrandiflora plants - I think my daughter & I
picked & discarded maybe a half-dozen, while picking
a half-gallon of berries.
I've never seen a rust lesion on stem/leaf/fruit on
the A.laevis trees in town.

Lucky