nafex - [NAFEX] pruning mulberries to a weep

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pruning mulberries to a weep
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:00:34 -0400

Pruning is no chore, it's just like breathing, you don't even have to think about it when you're doing it- if it required any less effort it would be sleep, or death.  But even if that's not your experience, pruning a mulberry to a weep aint too hard.

Do not prune to downward buds- that would be a stub cut and will only stimulate more rampant growth.  Just prune out the most vigorous wood- leave all the horizontal wood (or the wood growing closest to horizontal) and it will gradually weep as it extends.  Also leave all the small less vigorous wood even if it is upright.  You need only prune it once in mid summer- removing all the strong upright growth and once more when dormant.  Branches will grow outward and eventually start to bend down- be patient.

I really need to start taking pictures, I am only 50 feet from a weeping  Illinois E. right now, but I don't know how much help the image would be.